It was built in 1344. Here lived the monks who looked after the property of the Monastery Vatopediou, from 1018 until the Greek Catastrophe in Asia Minor.
This property included the whole wider area of Ouranoupolis. The roof, which replaced the last floor, and the lower building were constructed in the 19th century. Other buildings of the Monastery property are also preserved.
Today, the tower hosts periodical exhibitions about the Byzantine Era.