In the northern hill Sykia dominates the imposing stone church of Agios Athanasios, built in 1814, destroyed in 1854 by the Macedonian chieftain Tsamis Karatasos, who ruled in the Turkish church, diafentefan hitherto Sikia, and burned them. The church was rebuilt in 1856.
Interestingly, the wooden ceiling and the shrines of woodwork, works of 1703, which appears to originate from the Ag. Oros. Characteristic also is the masonry, particularly the west side.